Sunday 2 October 2016

Inspiring Practice

We all know there are some fantastic art educators out there, many of whom I've had the opportunity to get to know through various online communities. I thought I'd dedicate a blog post to sharing videos of some outstanding classroom practice. Both the clips I'm about to share show how vital and dynamic a creative education can be, with lessons that extend far beyond the confines of the art room.

The first clip I'd like to share with you is of Barney Saltzberg, creator of the fabulous book Beautiful Oops! Though aimed at a younger audience, Barney's message of using mistakes as a springboard for creativity is a great message for anyone of any age.


Another artist-turned-educator that I find really inspiring is Lynda Barry, who teaches at the Wisconsin Institute of Discovery. I highly recommend her books Syllabus and What It Is, both of which share her insights into the creative process. Here's a video of Barry at work in Wisconsin.


These are videos I've turned to time and again when in need of inspiration. I think they both share a powerful and transformative message about the real value of creative education.

No comments:

Post a Comment